Social Skills Leads take Best Actor and Best Actress Awards

Published on: Author: admin Leave a comment

Week seven’s best actress is Paris Bell, for her performance on Social Skills.

A native of Kailua, Hawai’i, Paris is a sophomore who has spent both years at the University of Oregon.  She’s had acting experience scattered throughout her pre-college years, from childhood commercials to plays in middle school and high school.  She says she always wanted to do more acting, but her commitment to sports made it difficult to find the time.

“Not being involved in sports here other than intramurals kinda forced me to get myself out there and try to start acting again,” Paris says.  “So far so good!”

Actresses Jennifer Lawrence and Elizabeth Banks inspire Paris in her acting.  “Jennifer Lawrence definitely inspires me when it comes to acting because she just kind of popped up out of nowhere and became a huge star, and that’s exactly what I would love to do,” Paris says.  “It’s usually hard to become famous when you aren’t starting out as a five year old or have famous parents like most celebrities today.  And I also want to be like Elizabeth Banks because she’s hilarious and I’ve been told I look like her, so I’m striving to be her,” she laughs.

This is Paris’s first term with Duck TV.  “I actually really want to be an anchor for Duck TV but I don’t have too much experience, so when I got the email for winter term, I thought I’d audition to be an actress to get my foot in the door and see how it all works first,” she says.

Paris says she’s impressed with the effort that goes into each production, and she likes that everyone seems to be in the same boat, since it’s the first time on Duck TV for many people.  “It’s nice to know that some people are on the same level as you,” she says.

“My favorite part about Duck TV is definitely meeting new people.  My crew clicked right off the bat so it’s been a lot of fun working with them and bonding with each other,” Paris says.  “The screenings are also great because everyone comes together to appreciate all the hard work we’ve put into each segment!”

Peter Frengs of Social Skills was this week’s Best Actor award winner.  The University of Oregon Senior, originally from Palos Verdes, CA, says he hadn’t had any acting experience prior to attending the UO, and yet he found himself starring in a sitcom in his first term with Duck TV.

Going in to Duck TV, Peter wanted to produce news for the news department and get production experience as a PA for one of the creative shows.  He ended up being asked to work on both, and though he hadn’t planned on acting, he checked the box saying he’d be willing to act and landed an audition.

“During the interview I read probably two lines and they told me that they would be in contact,” he says.  “Unexpectedly, I ended up being cast as the starring role in the sitcom Social Skills.

Peter finds his greatest inspiration in the music of Punk, Ska, and Reggae.  “I just like stuff that’s really high energy and aggressive; music that commands you to get off your ass and move your feet,” he says.  “People always say to me that music is life; I try to live a fun one.”

Although he had heard of Duck TV in passing, Peter had never seen a full episode in his four years on campus.  This term, he heard about the program by word of mouth, and decided to try it.  He never anticipated seeing himself on screen, and was shocked to learn he had landed a starring role.  His shock only grew when he was presented with the Best Actor award for the second episode of Social Skills.

Peter believes his acting experience with Duck TV will help to improve his skills in other areas of production.

“I have given direction to actors but have never really known what that director/actor relationship felt like from the perspective of the on-screen talent,” he says. “Now that I’m working as an actor and getting feedback and direction from my producers I’m learning how to better understand that relationship. Even if I don’t ever act again, I find this experience integral for my possible future in production.”

By Katie Foster