Gibson Toombs, Best Actor for Week 5

Published on: Author: admin Leave a comment

Week six saw the debut of Special Delivery, with actor and writer Gibson Toombs taking home a Best Actor award for his performance in the off-kilter comedy.

Gibson says he got into Duck TV because he thought it a great opportunity to be creative and learn about television production. The UO junior, a native of Lake Oswego, Oregon, says he hadn’t intended to become an actor when he first auditioned for Duck TV, and yet last term saw him acting on the show Instinct, his first time acting since middle school. “It just happened and I had a great time doing it,” he says. “Duck TV is even better than I expected it to be. It has allowed me to write, produce, and act in my own comedy television show. I would say that’s pretty cool.”
This term Gibson is writing and acting in his own comedy production, already clearly in its own league of humor. In the first episode, Gibson played one of several lab rats, a family of madcap characters whose baffling and unexplained existence is enough cause for laughter on its own.

“I feel like a lot of what I consider to be funny comes from the cartoon shows that were on Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network during the 90s,” Gibson says. “Shows like Spongebob, Dexter’s Lab, Cow and Chicken, Courage the Cowardly Dog. I love all those shows because they are so bizarre and hysterical.”

The influence of such television shows on Gibson’s writing is clear in Special Delivery, which is already a hit with viewers. Besides Gibson’s award for Best Actor, the show was also awarded the Force Award for week six, and Duck TV is looking forward to future episodes.

By Katie Foster