North Eugene High School Students Train to Compete on National Stage.

Published on: Author: admin 1 Comment

By Rick Lindfors

Peter Frengs Reports

North Eugene High School home economics teacher Miho Hosaka has created a culinary team to offer her students a new flavor for high school.

Students from Hosaka’s home economics class found a passion in culinary arts and now compete with other teams around the state.

“Cooking has always been a part of my life since I was a child,” student Hunter Briggs says. “My mom and I would cook when I was young and it just sort of stuck with me all throughout my life. But I think it’s here where I’ve really honed that passion for it.”

Briggs and Saori Fuji are two of the two team members who filled out an application for the teen version of the popular TV show “Chopped.” Although initially a class assignment, Food Network called them back wanting them to audition for the show.

Student Saori Fuji believes the team’s diversity played a role in getting the network’s attention. “I actually from Japan. I moved here when I was 10. I think that’s a little bit more unique so I think that’s why they called us back,” she says.

“We use recipes and the foundations of what Miho’s taught us throughout taking her classes of knife skills and flavor combinations that we could use,” says Briggs.

In this class, Briggs has learned more than just recipes. “I’ve learned how food is connected to culture and how food is loved,” he says.

The students are excited to hear back from the food network and will be training hard in the kitchen until then.

One Response to North Eugene High School Students Train to Compete on National Stage. Comments (RSS) Comments (RSS)