Experience in the Entity of Journalism

Published on: Author: admin Leave a comment

What is Duck TV? Although most students on campus have heard of it, many are unsure
of what it actually is and few have seen an episode. When students passing by the EMU were
asked to explain what they thought Duck TV is, there were a variety of confused answers. “It’s
an ESPN for the University of Oregon,” Richard Harris suggested. Emily Pelissia offered a
broader approach by suggesting Duck TV is “a student production group.” Others were closer to
the purpose of Duck TV. One student explained, “It’s a way for students in the Journalism School
to get practice using broadcast equipment. . .and to learn how to use the professional recording
equipment.” Although some of the students came close to what Duck TV is, most agreed with
Sam Heffener’s statement, “I don’t know enough about it to explain it to someone.”

Producers of Duck TV were better equipped to answer the question of the purpose of this
student organization. Joey McMurry, one of the executive producers, explained, “Duck TV is
essentially a practicum for live television. If you want to act or do anything behind the scenes,
Duck TV is the place to be. Likewise, if you’re interested in broadcast journalism, Duck TV’s
news and sports segments are the best place to gain experience. All of Duck TV is run by
students, and we believe that the best way to learn is through each other.” Another executive
producer, Garret Guinn, also mentioned Duck TV providing opportunities for students to
collaborate. “There are tons of students with similar interests that can benefit from working
together,” he stated. A producer and director of this quarter’s Duck TV show Franken Affairs, Ry
Basham Mintz, added, “I like to emphasize that it’s a fantastic way to get involved on campus
and to meet other people with similar interests.”

To summarize, Duck TV is the University of Oregon’s student run television network. It
helps get students involved on campus with hands on experience with broadcast journalism in
areas both behind the scenes and in front of the camera. Each week there is a new showing of
Duck TV that is even available on local television stations so the community can see what
University of Oregon students are producing. The production incorporates segments on local
news, Oregon Duck sports, and shows created by students which are similar to television series.
Students join Duck TV for various reasons with mixed experience levels and learn from
the fast moving media known as broadcast journalism. “As a person who is aspiring to join the
film industry, I joined Duck TV with the hope of gaining hands-on experience with both the
administrative and creative processes that accompany filmmaking” Mintz explained. After
joining, students quickly learn the responsibilities of being on a television network. “It was fall
term my sophomore year,” Guinn commented, “and I saw a flyer on campus promoting
auditions. I really had no idea what to expect, but figured I should check it out. I was hired on as
master editor, which was pretty daunting at first.”

Although Duck TV is only a term’s worth of commitment, many stay on the team for the
duration of their college career. “When you’re involved in something for a long time, you really
start to care for it,” McMurry explained, “Duck TV is a really cool entity because so many
different people work together for a great product. The successes in Duck TV are immensely
satisfying, but the obstacles we face are the most educational because those are the closest thing
to the real world.” Mintz agreed with McMurry, “My experience with Duck TV thus far has been
both invaluable and enjoyable. . .the successes and joys I have experienced have validated both
my efforts and creativity, but ultimately the obstacles and conflicts I’ve encountered have proven
to be the most valuable. I’m a firm believer in learning from your mistakes, ergo every snag,
every problem I’ve taken as an opportunity to develop and cultivate my interpersonal,
professional and creative skills.”

This television network run by students provides opportunities for experience in the real
world of journalism. It can be seen every Wednesday night at 8 o’clock on channel 23 or on
campus in Allen Hall.

By Erin Coates

Contributors:
Katie Foster