Behind the Scenes with Kelley Young, Best Actress of Week 5

This week’s Best Actress is Kelley Young, playing Queen Delilah from “Franken Affairs”. A junior from Washougal, WA, Young is a theater arts major. I sat down with her following her win, and discovered this young lady is as friendly and charming as Delilah is deceptive and cunning.

Q: Why did you want to get involved with a Duck TV production?

A: Well my ultimate goal is to be involved in film acting. My major is theater, though. It’s a lot of fun to work with students; we’re all just learning as we go. It’s honestly just so much fun.

Q: Tell me about your character. Do you relate to her at all?
A: She’s a very proud woman. Louis described her as “elegant, queenly, and slutty”. She definitely uses her sex as her power and she isn’t afraid to go after what she wants. I share that same kind of passion, I guess, but I’m not manipulative like her. I’m used to playing ingénue characters, like Disney princesses, usually. It’s been fun to play the opposite: and evil character. After I delivered that first monologue, I felt terrible, like “What did I just say?” But there’s more to her than meets the eye. She’s smart, too, and ambitious.

Q: What has your previous acting experience included?
A: I was involved in community theater in high school. I got my first professional job doing improve on a dinner train in Hood River. I actually missed my junior prom because of it. When I came to college, I wasn’t sure I wanted to pursue theater. But I came and got on student staff, and I fell back in love with it. I was in “The Importance of Being Earnest” last year, and then I acted in “Spring Awakening” with University Theater.

By Kaylee Tornay