Graduating Seniors Share Experiences at UO

Screen shot 2013-06-04 at 1.17.27 PM

Eugene, Ore.-In less than two weeks, the class of 2013 will be putting on their graduation caps and gowns and walking down campus one last time in the graduation ceremony. Before they take that next step into life beyond college, Duck TV talked to several seniors to share their memories of their time at the University of Oregon.

Tuition has always been a concern for both in-state and out-of-state students, and many went different routes with paying for their education.

“I pay out-of-state tuition, so it’s definitely a hefty load, and it’s pretty intimidating seeing how much I pay every year.” Lana Burge, senior, said.

When it came to housing, most students opted to only stay in campus housing for their freshman year, and had a variety of choices on where they wanted to live for the rest of their academic life.

“I lived in the dorms my freshman year and had a blast,” Ari Kogan, senior, said. “I lived in my fraternity house sophomore and junior year, and it was a good time. Now, I feel like I finally earned a nice, quiet house off campus.”

Lastly, even with difficult course loads with many of the student body, some still found time to get involved with activities outside of the classroom.

“Aside from my sorority, I was also really involved in our campus’ University of Oregon ‘Relay for Life’ event, which was really awesome,” Dana Frielander, senior, said. “I’m really into the philanthropic stuff, so that was really fun to do.”

Graduation will take place on June 17th with the main ceremony beginning at 8:45 a.m. with the Duck Walk Parade from Johnson Hall to Matt Knight Arena. Departments will also have individual ceremonies taking place on different parts of campus after the main ceremony. For more information on where these ceremonies will be, as well as answering any other Graduation Day questions, visit the University of Oregon Commencement page here.

Adam Holmes, Duck TV News

For the full video, click here: Graduation