Falling in Love with Cinematography

Published on: Author: mmaurice
Meet Olivia Rae Decklar
The cinematographer is associated with creating the “magic” behind filmmaking. Many people are intimidated by the filmmaking process but not Olivia Decklar. She is a junior at the University of Oregon who accidentally fell in love with cinematography. She first began her career in the field after interviewing for the University of Oregon Film Organization’s short film “A Dollar Ninety-Eight” last fall; however, Decklar never expected anything to come from it. “To my dismay, I got the role and since then, I have been working to build my confidence in my abilities as a cinematographer both technically and stylistically.”
Decklar is currently the director of photography for a Duck TV creative show, “Short Changed.” This is her second show with the student organization and she is thrilled to be pitching a show for next term. Her vision is producing a sci-fi show that questions the duality of fate and determinism. The potential cast and crew are led mostly by students who identify as women, as Decklar is passionate about providing more roles for women in film. She feels that “women in film do not get the same opportunities to flex their skills and innovative creativity that men often have, and I want to do everything in my power to change that.” This belief has led her to co-create the UO Women and Film club on campus this winter.
The club aims to “increase roles for women, non-binary and trans individuals within UO by promoting equal opportunities for artistic development.” Decklar is the event coordinator and one of the cinematography mentors. She was influenced to co-create the club due to her passion for providing women with the confidence to be involved in the filmmaking process.
To further her career goals of female representation, her dream is to become a director of photography, certified in the American Society of Cinematographers. Her idol is Ava DuVernay, the filmmaker behind Disney’s “A Wrinkle in Time.” She reveres her work in creating opportunities for women and minorities within the film industry. She says, “Pinch me if I ever get to work for Ava Someday.”
Her experience in Duck TV and UO Women and Film has boosted her confidence in taking every opportunity to stand up for her beliefs on a creative and social justice level. Representation is a value that she holds dear to her heart, and she feels that it is slowly growing in the film industry. She hopes to be a part of that growth and pursue a career that further advances that movement into the film industry.